We use cookies to improve site performance and enhance your user experience. If you'd like to disable cookies on this device, please see our cookie management page.
If you close this message or continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies on this devise in accordance with our cookie policy, unless you disable them.

Close
In association with

Home > Investments > Emerging Markets

Brandes targets UK market with emerging market launch

US asset manager aiming to target UK investors with new emerging market fund.

By Bradley Gerrard | Published Jul 19, 2012 | comments

Brandes Investment Partners has launched a Dublin-domiciled Emerging Market Equity fund, as it continues its assault on the UK market.

The group, which has $29.9bn assets under management, is intending to make a concerted push into the UK with the fund and will be targeting discretionary fund managers, multi-managers and fund platforms.

The vehicle, which is the fourth sub-fund of the group’s Ireland-based Ucits fund, will have a sterling share class which has a minimum investment requirement of $10,000 (£6,300).

The fund, which will have a value approach, will be managed by Christopher Garrett who said it would serve as a good diversifier for those seeking emerging markets exposure.

“This new fund is based on our approach we use on our existing fund, which is an all-cap strategy,” he said.

“We are definitely hoping to get traction in the UK and we think we can add value by providing a disciplined approach and that the all-cap strategy is a very significant benefit.”

Mr Garrett said at present the existing fund holds 60 per cent in large caps with the remaining 40 per cent split between small and medium caps.

“For those with passive or large-cap allocations to these markets this fund could provide valuable access to opportunities outside of the main index constituents,” Mr Garrett added.

The manager said one opportunity he is finding at the moment is in commercial banks, given the sector has “fear associated with it”.

“There is some hesitation on behalf of investors to invest in banks and so we are finding some significant undervalued opportunities in Korea, Turkey, Brazil and Russia,” he said.

The manager said he is supported by a team of five other people.

visible-status-Standard story-url-IA web Brandes 190712.xml

COMMENT AND REACTION
Most Popular
More on FTAdviser
FTA jobs