We use cookies to improve site performance and enhance your user experience. If you'd like to disable cookies on this device, please see our cookie management page.
If you close this message or continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies on this devise in accordance with our cookie policy, unless you disable them.

In association with

Home > Investments > Tax Efficient Investments

From Adviser Guide: Offshore Investments

Q. What are the FSA’s requirements for offshore advising?

The UK financial regulator requires advisers to be authorised to sell offshore products.

By Ashley Wassall | Published Aug 02, 2012 | comments

Advisers wishing to provide services relating to offshore products need to ensure they are qualified to an appropriate level and are authorised to recommend such investments.

According to Neil Chadwick, technical manager at Royal London 360, as well as ascertaining whether they are suitably qualified, advisers should also ensure that they fully understand the differences between offshore and onshore products and the benefits or drawbacks of both.

A spokesperson for the Investment Management Association said that UK financial advisers must be authorised to sell offshore funds.

The IMA added that investors can purchase from an offshore financial adviser, but said that investors should check with the FSA that the adviser is properly authorised by the country’s regulatory authority, or direct from a fund management firm or via the internet.

Finished reading all the other articles in this Guide?Bank 1hr of Structured CPD

Most Popular
More on FTAdviser