All CPD content
Testing DC pension benefits against the lifetime allowance
- List the calculations involved in testing against the lifetime allowance.
- Describe how the tax charge is calculated and whether there is any way of mitigating it.
- Identify how pre-2006 pensions can still reduce the available lifetime allowance at age 75.
Guide to helping mid-lifers plan for retirement
- Describe what mid-lifers need to consider when saving for retirement.
- List how advisers can help mid-lifers prioritise their pension and what tools providers can offer to help.
- Identify how women can ensure they are financially prepared for retirement given the pensions gap.
How to engage with clients’ beneficiaries
- List the benefits of engaging with clients’ beneficiaries as part of intergenerational planning.
- Identify ways to help a client’s executors and beneficiaries during the probate process.
- Describe the opportunity for taking on beneficiaries as clients.
Why specialist advice is critical for GMP equalisation
- Describe the background to GMP equalisation and how schemes can get started.
- List the different methods of equalisation for schemes to adopt and how they communicate the process with members.
- Identify the potential pitfalls and how specialist advice can help smooth the GMP equalisation journey.
Improving pensions for the self-employed
- List the challenges faced by the self-employed in saving into a pension and the employment landscape in general.
- Describe what the DWP trials are looking at in regards to self-employed pensions.
- Identify possible solutions to saving for retirement among self-employed.
Guide to later life mortgages
- List what types of later life mortgage products are available and how they differ.
- Describe what is driving the growth of this market and why clients are demanding these products.
- Identify what advisers can do to help later life mortgage clients and what they need to know about suitability and risk.
What is in store for Chinese equity investors?
- Describe how the US-China trade war has impacted Chinese equities.
- Identify the reasons for China's slowing economic growth and the outlook for its economy in 2019.
- List the opportunities in Chinese equities for clients and how to get exposure.
Using ETFs to position for trade war events
- Describe how the US-China trade war started and three possible scenarios that could develop.
- Identify how exposed various equity indices, tracked by ETFs, are to an escalating trade war.
- List which sectors and company sizes are more or less exposed to the trade war.
Understanding Qrops and transfers from UK pensions
- Identify what a Qrops is and the conditions that must be met by a Rops.
- Describe the transfer process from a UK registered pension scheme to a Qrops.
- List what five conditions are used to assess an overseas transfer charge and what needs to be known about the lifetime allowance.