All CPD content
Senior Managers and Certification Regime: are you resilient?
- Describe how to ensure there is accountability in advice companies for the resilience of operational services ready for SMCR.
- List what to do to mitigate risks from outside the company.
- Identify the cyber risk to the business and prepare for it.
Regrets, refunds and the relevance of contribution paid dates
- Describe how the refund of excess contributions lump sum works and what is considered a genuine error.
- Identify the date contributions are paid for tax purposes and how different payment methods are treated.
- List what advisers need to know about pension savings statements.
Guide to risk and return in multi-asset
- Identify whether multi-asset funds are using a more modern approach to diversification and how it can be measured.
- Describe how advisers can evaluate risk and volatility in multi-asset, and the importance of clients' time horizons.
- List how multi-asset funds can meet income requirements.
Why annuities are an essential tool for clients' financial future
- Describe why clients' retirement income needs are changing and how the annuity market has developed.
- List the different types of annuities including lifetime, enhanced and fixed term.
- Identify the importance of advice in the annuity market and why annuities can be an essential tool for clients.
Guide to suitability and duty of care
- Describe what the regulator expects from advisers around duty of care and suitability.
- List what has happened in global markets and why clients might be concerned.
- Identify how to deliver financial solutions that meet client needs against this backdrop.
How to use ETFs to get exposure to thematic investing
- Identify what thematic investing is and why it has been associated with active management.
- Describe why it is important to understand the aim of the index methodology and how they are constructed.
- List why it is important to ensure investors have a meaningful exposure to a trend.
Guide to the Isa market
- Describe the history of Isas and why they have become a building block in client portfolios.
- Identify how to protect investments held in stocks and shares Isas from volatility and whether there is value in having a cash Isa.
- List the different types of Isa available now and consider whether there are too many in the market.
Why conversations about protection are difficult but essential
- Identify why protection can be a difficult subject to broach with clients.
- List some of the common misconceptions about protection and its coverage.
- Describe how advisers can make the case for protection, and why mortgage clients might have more of a need.
Guide to preparing for SMCR
- Identify what advice companies can expect from the new regulatory regime and how it has played out in the banking sector.
- Describe what there is to know about complying and the potential challenges advisers might come across.
- List some practical steps advice companies can take now to prepare for SMCR.
How to prepare your clients for Brexit volatility
- Identify how Brexit might trigger volatility in markets and currencies and the impact on client portfolios.
- Describe how advisers can help clients with short-term drawdown needs to navigate volatility.
- List what advisers can do to help clients meet their income needs.
What you need to know about later life protection
- Identify why the cost of care in the UK is rising and what that means for protection needs.
- List how advisers can help clients plan early and identify the right protection cover.
- Describe which products have entered the market to meet later life protection needs.
Understanding the role of independent financial advice in divorce
- Describe how financial planning at the outset of divorce proceedings can help fund it.
- List what factors are relevant to financial arrangements in divorce proceedings and the need for financial disclosure.
- Identify what need there is for clients to get financial advice when going through a divorce.
Testing DC pension benefits against the lifetime allowance
- List the calculations involved in testing against the lifetime allowance.
- Describe how the tax charge is calculated and whether there is any way of mitigating it.
- Identify how pre-2006 pensions can still reduce the available lifetime allowance at age 75.
Guide to helping mid-lifers plan for retirement
- Describe what mid-lifers need to consider when saving for retirement.
- List how advisers can help mid-lifers prioritise their pension and what tools providers can offer to help.
- Identify how women can ensure they are financially prepared for retirement given the pensions gap.
How to engage with clients’ beneficiaries
- List the benefits of engaging with clients’ beneficiaries as part of intergenerational planning.
- Identify ways to help a client’s executors and beneficiaries during the probate process.
- Describe the opportunity for taking on beneficiaries as clients.
Why specialist advice is critical for GMP equalisation
- Describe the background to GMP equalisation and how schemes can get started.
- List the different methods of equalisation for schemes to adopt and how they communicate the process with members.
- Identify the potential pitfalls and how specialist advice can help smooth the GMP equalisation journey.