All CPD content
How to protect drawdown savings in a market crash
- Understand how different market scenarios can impact clients' income levels in retirement.
- Consider whether diversification, cash levels and other strategies can help portfolios recover from a market crash.
- Learn what advisers need to do with clients to help them through stockmarket volatility.
What to know about investment risk in the early years of retirement
- Learn about the relationship between risk and retirement and how that has changed with pension freedoms.
- Understand why retirees tend to be risk averse and how this can be overcome.
- Grasp what the FCA concluded about risk and how advisers can incorporate this into the advice process.
Guide to platform consolidation
- Understand what is driving platform consolidation.
- Consider some of the pitfalls for platforms to avoid and find examples of where replatforming has gone well.
- Learn why due diligence is so important when selecting a platform to use, and the future of the market.
Pitfalls and merits of paying out on DC scheme death benefits
- Learn about the changes to DC scheme death benefits that have been introduced since pension freedoms
- Find out about what different beneficiaries are entitled to
- Understand why it is important to keep expression of wishes up to date
Quirky protection becoming the mainstream
- Learn about why high-risk or impaired individuals are becoming the norm when trying to place insurance for them
- Understand why lack of available insurance for non-standard risk concerns the FCA
- Find out what providers are doing to expand their scope of cover people who previously found it difficult to get insurance
What wealth managers can do to get Brexit-ready
- Grasp why planning for Brexit is not just a compliance matter and how it can be planned for.
- Learn the biggest risks for wealth managers and advisers of leaving the EU, including identifying weaknesses.
- Consider how to treat location requirements and maintaining cross-border client relationships.
How to help clients create a lasting power of attorney
- Learn how attorneys are appointed in England and Wales and why they are important.
- Understand what LPAs allow clients to achieve and the role of a health and welfare LPA.
- Consider how to broach the issue with clients and some tips for advisers.
Guide to investing in frontier markets
- Learn what constitutes a frontier market and sets the asset class apart from emerging market economies.
- Understand how investors can get exposure to frontier markets in their portfolio and to fixed income.
- Grasp which frontier market countries offer the best investment opportunities and why.
The impact of GDPR on divorce proceedings
- Understand the impact of GDPR on divorce proceedings.
- Learn the implications of being jointly instructed or instructed by one party in the proceedings.
- Consider the role of the adviser in understanding the financial information provided by one or other party.
Understanding passive approaches to SRI
- Learn about the history of ESG investments and SRI, as well as the differences between the two.
- Consider the three main routes to investing sustainably including passive, active and impact investments.
- Understand the index selection for passive investments and what is behind investor selection.
What to know about advising on business protection
- Learn the definition of a small business and the risks SMEs face.
- Understand the different types of business protection available and what they cover.
- Consider how to increase awareness of business protection among clients and the role of advisers in doing so.
Guide to unexpected property ownership
- Learn what happens after a client has inherited a property and what their options are.
- Consider whether renting or selling an inherited house is better and what the different markets are like.
- Understand what to know about becoming an accidental landlord.
How to access the free client bank in need of advice
- Learn why there are opportunities for advisers in the workplace pensions market.
- Understand how the current workplace pension market works including regulatory changes and costs.
- Consider what the retirement options are and how to evolve a workplace proposition.
How to boost clients' income in retirement
- Learn how advisers can help their clients boost their income in retirement and which strategies are best.
- Understand how the retirement income strategy differs depending on the size of the pension pot.
- Grasp whether the pension freedoms have had any impact on funding retirement sustainably.
How financial planning can help clients bridge the generation gap
- Learn about some of the planning strategies advisers should have to help clients tackle the generation gap.
- Understand the importance of inheritance tax when transferring accumulated wealth and questions to ask clients.
- Consider the range of gifting strategies and trust structures available to clients.
How advisers can help clients turn property potential into reality
- Consider the case for using equity release to help fund retirement.
- Learn the misconceptions advisers' clients have about equity release and how to overcome these.
- Understand how to educate clients and the wider family members about their property options.