All CPD content
Guide to the background to protection planning
- Describe what types of financial shocks income protection can cover.
- Identify how state benefits and IP interact and how advisers can help clients understand the IP claims process.
- List how the income protection market might develop over the next few years, including whether it will consolidate.
The growing importance of advice on long-term care
- Describe why the number of people living for longer is set to increase and the care available to them.
- Identify what to check with a client or relative who has immediate care needs.
- List the options clients have to be able to meet care costs and how to communicate these to them.
What the Budget delivered for your clients
- Identify what were the biggest announcements in the Budget related to pensions, tax and housing.
- Describe what announcements advisers would like to have seen the chancellor make.
- List what changes delivered by the chancellor will have the most impact on advisers' clients.
Getting to grips with the residence nil rate band
- List the key definitions, dates and thresholds for the residence nil-rate band.
- Identify what are the 'traps' to watch out for in estate planning strategies.
- Describe the common scenarios advisers may encounter with their clients when dealing with RNRB.
Guide to the changing face of income protection
- Describe how sales of income protection differ from other types of protection and why this is.
- Identify which initiatives have raised awareness of IP and how these have helped advisers start protection conversations.
- List how income protection has adapted to meet the needs of growing numbers of self-employed.
Financial planning for later life care provision
- Describe what options for solving the later life care crisis have been suggested.
- Identify what clients want from their later years and how much money they will need to achieve that.
- List what clients need to know about saving for care, paying IHT and what flexible options there are.
What advisers need to know about Generation Rent and protection
- Identify the changes in the BTL market which were intended to help first-time buyers.
- Describe what impact fewer homeowners means for protection needs and advisers who sell protection.
- List why tenants or Generation Rent represent a potential income for advisers as clients.
Building a decumulation investment strategy for clients
- Be able to describe a “liability relative” approach to investing.
- Identify the different implementation approaches to liability-relative investing.
- List the “hybrid strategies” which incorporate annuities and/or insurance into a portfolio.
Guide to investing in Latin America
- Be able to list what the long-term opportunities are for investing in the region.
- Identify how Latin American equities have performed recently and over the longer term.
- List the reasons Latin American bonds have outperformed and what political changes the region might face.
How clients can position in alternatives to withstand volatility
- Identify the role of alternatives and their benefits in a portfolio.
- List how clients can get returns from less traditional asset classes and why the current environment means they need to.
- Be able to describe the risks of using alternative investments in a broader portfolio.
Guide to key Budget announcements
- Be able to identify the economic announcements from the Budget and how the Chancellor has prepared for Brexit.
- Describe what pension reforms were delivered by the Chancellor in the Budget around patient capital investment.
- List the four key residential housing market policies from the Budget.
Getting the pensions conversation right
- Understand the cash flow modelling exercise financial planners might use to create a retirement plan with clients.
- Consider how to help clients minimise the risk of running out of money in retirement.
- Grasp how to make pensions for compelling for millennial clients.
How to advise clients on DB transfers
- Understand what the FCA has issued on pension transfer advice and who is eligible to give advice.
- Learn what to do with self investors and the distinction between the two risk types.
- Grasp what there is to know about TVAS, TVC and Apta, and charging for advice.
How to help clients approach sustainable investing
- Understand what are the different definitions around the concept of sustainable or ethical investing.
- Learn how to help different clients navigate the different approaches to sustainable investing.
- Consider what type of data there is available to help advisers make a selection.
How to help clients invest for accumulation and decumulation
- Explain the differentiated objectives in accumulation and decumulation investing.
- Understand and contrast the key risks of investing in accumulation and decumulation.
- Understand and explain the key variables in analysing and evaluating the potential outcomes of a retirement investment plan.
Guide to the UK market post-Brexit
- Learn how fund managers are positioning in UK equities for Brexit and how clients should be invested in the asset class.
- Consider what impact Brexit uncertainty has had on the UK economy.
- Understand how advisers can help to reassures clients ahead of Britain's departure from the EU and the discussions they should be having.
The benefits of group protection policies for cancer treatment
- Understand why it is important for employers to have employee benefits in place.
- Learn about the main benefits of group income protection and group critical illness cover.
- Consider some of the criticisms levelled at group critical illness and why cancer makes up the majority of claims.
How to help clients choose the right income fund for retirement
- Learn what impact the pension freedoms have had on retirement provision.
- Consider how income funds can help clients to fund their retirement and the risks that these bring.
- Understand how ratings can help advisers to find the best income funds for their clients.
The 10 things advisers should know about protection
- Understand what to know about the range of protection products and what clients protection needs are.
- Learn about the underwriting process and where price comes in.
- Consider clients' existing employee benefits and any suitable added value benefits.