All CPD content
How to use ETFs to get exposure to thematic investing
- Identify what thematic investing is and why it has been associated with active management.
- Describe why it is important to understand the aim of the index methodology and how they are constructed.
- List why it is important to ensure investors have a meaningful exposure to a trend.
Guide to the Isa market
- Describe the history of Isas and why they have become a building block in client portfolios.
- Identify how to protect investments held in stocks and shares Isas from volatility and whether there is value in having a cash Isa.
- List the different types of Isa available now and consider whether there are too many in the market.
Why conversations about protection are difficult but essential
- Identify why protection can be a difficult subject to broach with clients.
- List some of the common misconceptions about protection and its coverage.
- Describe how advisers can make the case for protection, and why mortgage clients might have more of a need.
What you need to know about later life protection
- Identify why the cost of care in the UK is rising and what that means for protection needs.
- List how advisers can help clients plan early and identify the right protection cover.
- Describe which products have entered the market to meet later life protection needs.
Understanding the role of independent financial advice in divorce
- Describe how financial planning at the outset of divorce proceedings can help fund it.
- List what factors are relevant to financial arrangements in divorce proceedings and the need for financial disclosure.
- Identify what need there is for clients to get financial advice when going through a divorce.
Guide to later life mortgages
- List what types of later life mortgage products are available and how they differ.
- Describe what is driving the growth of this market and why clients are demanding these products.
- Identify what advisers can do to help later life mortgage clients and what they need to know about suitability and risk.
The growing importance of advice on long-term care
- Describe why the number of people living for longer is set to increase and the care available to them.
- Identify what to check with a client or relative who has immediate care needs.
- List the options clients have to be able to meet care costs and how to communicate these to them.
What the Budget delivered for your clients
- Identify what were the biggest announcements in the Budget related to pensions, tax and housing.
- Describe what announcements advisers would like to have seen the chancellor make.
- List what changes delivered by the chancellor will have the most impact on advisers' clients.
Getting to grips with the residence nil rate band
- List the key definitions, dates and thresholds for the residence nil-rate band.
- Identify what are the 'traps' to watch out for in estate planning strategies.
- Describe the common scenarios advisers may encounter with their clients when dealing with RNRB.
Guide to the changing face of income protection
- Describe how sales of income protection differ from other types of protection and why this is.
- Identify which initiatives have raised awareness of IP and how these have helped advisers start protection conversations.
- List how income protection has adapted to meet the needs of growing numbers of self-employed.
What advisers need to know about Generation Rent and protection
- Identify the changes in the BTL market which were intended to help first-time buyers.
- Describe what impact fewer homeowners means for protection needs and advisers who sell protection.
- List why tenants or Generation Rent represent a potential income for advisers as clients.
Guide to key Budget announcements
- Be able to identify the economic announcements from the Budget and how the Chancellor has prepared for Brexit.
- Describe what pension reforms were delivered by the Chancellor in the Budget around patient capital investment.
- List the four key residential housing market policies from the Budget.
The 10 things advisers should know about protection
- Understand what to know about the range of protection products and what clients protection needs are.
- Learn about the underwriting process and where price comes in.
- Consider clients' existing employee benefits and any suitable added value benefits.
Why clients should avoid relying on property to fund retirement
- Consider why clients are relying on property to fund their retirement.
- Learn what the risks are of relying on property and cash, and why clients are averse to saving into a pension.
- Understand how advisers can help clients to avoid relying on equity in the home for retirement income.
How cohabiting couples can limit potential financial disadvantages
- Learn about how cohabiting couples can limit potential financial disadvantages
- Find out the disadvantages cohabiting couples suffer when a relationship breaks down
- Find out the disadvantages cohabiting couples suffer when a partner dies
Guide to unusual buy-to-let
- Learn what there is to know about the holiday let market in the UK.
- Understand how mortgage providers are catering to the needs of expat landlords with UK property and the tax implications for holiday homes.
- Consider what there is to know about Airbnb as buy-to-let landlords show an interest.