How to help US expats navigate their wealth goals

This article is part of
Guide to advising US expat clients

He explains: “As a US citizen living in the UK, you have to report your taxes in British pounds, but as a US citizen you also have to report your taxes in US dollars – this often brings in a lot of confusion because the exchange rate has moved quite substantially.

“So, before you sell an investment you need to take care that the currency doesn't involve making a bigger taxable gain.”

Key things to think about ahead of the US tax year end:

  • US dollar capital gains planning on global assets
  • Foreign tax credit planning opportunities
  • Annual gifting allowances
  • Charitable giving, US/UK efficiency
  • US pensions, required minimum distributions each year
  • US/UK pension planning
  • Currency exposures