In Focus: Tax  

What every woman should know about pensions

Simoney Kyriakou

Simoney Kyriakou

If you have been made redundant, or are out of work and on benefits, firstly, they should check National Insurance records to find out if they have any gaps, if they are eligible to pay voluntary contributions and how much it will cost. 

They may also be eligible for National Insurance credits if you claim benefits because they cannot work, are unemployed or caring for someone full time.

However, they cannot pay voluntary contributions into their NI if you are eligible for NI credits, or if they are married and paying reduced rates, or a widow paying reduced rates.