How clients needing care can get financial help

  • Identify the ways in which elderly or disabled persons can get state funding
  • Identify the different types of state benefits
  • Describe the benefits of NHS continuing healthcare

However, a friend or relative can make the top up. This is known as a third-party top up.

State benefits

A client needing help with personal care can claim state benefits such as the Attendance Allowance (AA), Personal Independence Payments (PIP) or the Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

AA is available to someone over a pensionable age. 

PIPs and DLA are paid to those under a pensionable age.  

Even though most advisers would be advising clients over 65 on care annuities, PIPs and the DLA could still be relevant in the case of someone who has something like Motor Neurone Disease which typically begins before retirement age.

These benefits are not means tested and can still be paid to someone who funds their own care in their own home, or in a care home.

AA is paid at two rates. The lower weekly rate of £58.70 is paid to someone who needs care during the day, or supervision during the night, while the higher rate of £87.65 is paid to someone who needs both.

PIPs and the DLA are paid to someone under pension age, and as well as being payable to someone needing help with personal care, also are paid for someone who has walking difficulties.  

The care components of PIPs and the DLA have a lower, middle and upper rate of payment, while mobility payments will be made at either a lower or upper rate.

Someone looking after an individual who is entitled to AA or the care component of PIPs and DLA for more than 35 hours per week can claim a carer’s allowance of £66.15.  There is nothing in the legislation which prevents someone who is being paid to care for a sick person also claiming Carer’s Allowance.  

Carer’s Allowance cannot be paid to someone earning over £123 per week (after travelling, taxes, and various other expenses like child care), so clients paying someone to care for them need to make sure that the amount that they pay them, after they deduct their allowable expenses does not exceed £123 per week.

NHS continuing healthcare

Someone who has more complex health needs could be entitled to non means tested NHS continuing healthcare.  

The assessment is very strict, but includes things like:

  • Terminal illness or rapidly deteriorating condition needing complex medical supervision
  • Unpredictable conditions where there are risks to health if care is not provided at the right time.

The care can be provided in whatever setting a patient chooses.  

That could mean in a hospital, care home or at home.  

If care is provided in a hospital or care home, things like food will be normally provided but those choosing care at home provide their own food.

Unlike local authority care, the patient can use their own funds to top up the level of care provided by the NHS.  Even if the care is in a hospital or care home, they could choose for example to have a private room or a more expensive care home.


Please answer the six multiple choice questions below in order to bank your CPD. Multiple attempts are available until all questions are correctly answered.

  1. Which of the following can a client needing help with personal care NOT claim as a state benefit:

  2. To qualify for local authority funding your capital cannot be over:

  3. What are the four main ways that an elderly or disabled person can get funding from the state, all of which is tax free?

  4. True or false: Personal Independence Payments and the Disability Living Allowance can be paid to those over pension age.

  5. True or false, with NHS continuing healthcare the GP must decide the setting in which the affected individual can receive the care.

  6. What is the NHS Nursing Care Contribution?

Nearly There…

You have successfully answered all the questions correctly, well done!

You should now know…

  • Identify the ways in which elderly or disabled persons can get state funding
  • Identify the different types of state benefits
  • Describe the benefits of NHS continuing healthcare

I completed this CPD in

To bank your CPD please complete the form below.

Were the stated learning objectives met?

Why weren't they met?

What did you learn from undertaking this CPD exercise?

Why did you undertake this piece of learning?


Congratulations, you have successfully completed and banked this piece of CPD

Already Banked!

You have already banked for this article.

To bank your CPD you must or


One or more questions have been incorrectly answered,
 please review your answers and try again.

Please complete all the above text fields to bank your CPD.

More Pensions CPDSee my completed CPDSee all CPD