Diary of an adviser  

Diary of an Adviser: Tony Sharp

Diary of an Adviser: Tony Sharp


I wake before the 6.30am alarm, probably due to aches and pains of Sunday morning ‘walking’ football.

After a quick cuppa, I am in my office (home-based) sorting through emails and checking my diary for the week ahead.

Just the one local appointment this afternoon, which is the wife of a friend who is looking to retire early from her nursing role and wishes to confirm she can by crunching a few numbers.

Having advised surgeons and consultants in a previous role, it is an area I am very comfortable with.

Most of the day is spent on admin until I wrap up around 5.30 to drop my youngest son to his football academy in Penzance.


A day on the road today – which is good.  

Starting with a couple who would like to use their stocks and shares Isa allowances.

It is then onto a retirement planning meeting before visiting another new client who is unhappy with her existing portfolio performance.

Having covered the best part of 140 miles, I am back in the office by 4pm to return clients' phone calls and emails.

I like to cook something ‘different’ on a Tuesday evening; it is hake, chorizo and spinach tonight, which fortunately tastes better than it looks.

No football on television, so a trip to the cinema to watch Rocketman.


On the road at 8am visiting a new client in North Devon who wishes to talk about mitigating inheritance tax – it is a referral from an existing client, which is always nice.

She is a lovely lady who provides a light lunch. She had a distinct lack of financial planning previously and a further meeting is booked.

I then pop in and say hello to my other clients in the area, which adds up to a 240 mile round trip – everybody happy, so all good.


Quick catch up on the phone with my colleague in Cheltenham first thing – living in the far depths of west Cornwall has its benefits, but you can feel a little isolated sometimes.

Having put the world to rights, it is back on the road for a couple of annual review appointments.

Both clients are lovely and I am greeted with freshly made saffron cake.

Back in the office by 3pm, so it is a couple of hours doing the part of my job I like least – paperwork.

Fortunately, I have a fantastic paraplanner who keeps me in check, so it works really well.

With that all done, I have been talked into resurrecting my pool career this evening, so it is a quick shower and off for some practice.


Friday mornings are spent clearing any outstanding admin and making and confirming appointments for the coming week.

I then have a webinar booked, which focuses on the volatility challenges faced when investing for retirement – I try to keep on top of my CPD each week.