Diary of an adviser  

Diary of an Adviser: Malcolm Snook

Diary of an Adviser: Malcolm Snook

This adviser breaks up a week of client meetings and market volatility queries with a weekend of football. 


I leave home and get the train into London King’s Cross and walk to my office.

Article continues after advert

I get in at 7.15am – I like to be in early to beat rush hour and it allows me to finish early.

I start by reading the emails received over the past few days and the post that is on my desk. Afterwards, I prepare for this morning’s client meeting.

After the client has left, I pop out to get a late lunch.

I then have a meeting with my paraplanner and provide him with the client file to prepare the report. I leave the office at 4.15pm to make my way home.


I start at 7.30am checking emails and reading the client files ahead of my client meetings. I drive to my first client review meeting for 11am in Bedford – a nice couple in their late 70s.

Following this meeting I grab a sandwich en route to the second in Milton Keynes at 2pm, which is with a younger couple who are interested in ethical investments.

After another successful meeting I head home where I collate the paperwork and check messages and emails received during the day. I then take my wife and son out for a meal.


Another early start, as usual; I am in the office before 7am.

I leave the office at 8am to make my way to a continuing professional development event organised by Downing on board the HMS Belfast, to obtain an understanding of their investment and due diligence process.

After the event I make my way back to the office, grabbing a sandwich on my way, where I sit down with my paraplanning team, explaining the client files and requirements from yesterday.

I make a few phone calls and appointments, dealing with client questions they have due to market volatility.

I leave the office and head home, and after a quick change and something to eat I am off to my under-18 football team’s home football match that kicks off at 7.45pm.

I finally get home at 10.45pm ready to relax.


I am back in the office at 7.15am, checking the post and email communications, along with typing up notes from yesterday’s conversations.

I prepare for a client meeting this morning – it is an existing client that wishes to receive an income from pensions.

After the meeting, I update the file notes on our system and have another meeting with the paraplanning team to update them with the next steps.

I read our investment updates and review various market-related communications before I leave the office at 4pm and make my way home. 

Another quick change takes place before going to football training, where I spend the next 1.5 hours coaching a bunch of 12-year-olds.