Longer notice periods of possession proceedings will be in place for most tenants until at least October.
Housing minister Christopher Pincher said this week (May 12) that notice periods, which were previously extended to six months as an emergency measure during the pandemic, will be set at four months from June 1 as part of a phased approach.
According to the government, this will offer tenants continued protection throughout step three and into step four of the roadmap out of lockdown, the latter step beginning on June 21 at the earliest.
Notice periods will return to pre-pandemic levels from October 1, subject to public health advice and progress with the roadmap.
Pincher said: “As Covid restrictions are eased in line with the roadmap out of lockdown, we will ensure tenants continue to be supported with longer notice periods, while also balancing the need for landlords to access justice.”
Under current guidance, landlords are not able to start possession proceedings unless they have given their tenants six months’ notice, with the exception of the most serious cases.
The government also said the current ban on bailiff-enforced evictions that was introduced as an emergency measure during lockdown will end on May 31, after several extensions.
Ben Beadle, chief executive of the National Residential Landlords Association, commented: “Having operated under emergency conditions for over a year, [the] announcement from the government is an important step in ensuring the sector’s recovery.”
What do you think about the issues raised by this story? Email us on FTAletters@ft.com to let us know.